O my Jesus, each of Your saints reflects one of Your virtues; I desire to reflect Your compassionate heart, full of mercy; I want to glorify it. Let Your Mercy, O Jesus, be impressed upon my heart and soul like a seal, and this will be my badge in this and the future life (Diary 1242).
- Be slow to anger and quick to forgive.
- Pray for right judgement before you speak or act.
- Be humble of heart. Pray daily to grow in humility.
- Pray daily for wisdom.
- Work especially hard at this with those you or deal with every day: your spouse, children, siblings, coworkers and roommates.
- Before you judge others, before you become angry, before you try to change another person, and before you act–ask God to reveal to you those things in your heart and life that need to change. Ask him to take out of your heart every thought, belief, feeling or opinion that is not of Him.
- Let your first reaction in adversity be compassion and trust in God’s guidance. Those who hurt you probably have something tough going on in their lives. The very fact that they’re not acting Christ-like reveals they need God. They need prayers.
- Don’t indulge in negative speech that we so easily fall into when we’re with “like minded” people. Don’t crack jokes at others’ expense. Catch yourself before participating in conversations that “roast” politicians, coworkers, or even friends and family. Yes, many people make bad choices or hurt us–sometimes over and over again. yes, there are people who have hurt us or our loved ones badly. But rather than our grudges and anger, they need a Heavenly wakeup call brought on by prayer.